Friday, March 23, 2012

Low Profilers

Class of  '71

Nobody from my class has become famous even after 40  years of trying. Not that we were a bunch of losers necessarily, and not that some of us didn't achieve a fair amount of local success and recognition. One of my best buddies is a U.S. Attorney in Pennsylvania (good job Dennis), several others have had good careers as lawyers, and a number of others have reasonably successful careers in business, although no one plays on the national scene, and none have made it big in pro sports or the entertainment industry.

Christina Aguilera went to my high school for a while, but that was almost thirty years after me. She probably wasn't told about me while she was there.

And admittedly, it's difficult to be famous. You have to know or be known by 7 million people just to reach one tenth of one percent of the world's population.

I'm guessing that the vast majority of us just went about having a normal life, getting married or not, having kids or not, paying the rent and eating lots of pizza and hamburgers.

I am surprised at how few of my acquaintances have any kind of presence on the Web. If you Google "Bernie Pilarski," you come up with a fair number of references -- mostly self-serving stuff that I put out there in a desperate attempt to gain attention, but nonetheless, I'm visible. I suppose that if I wanted to spend some bucks on a good search service, I could dig up some stuff on more people, but just using the standard Google and Facebook searches, it's apparent that the overwhelming majority of the people I knew growing up have maintained a very low profile. And maybe they are all just blocking me specifically.

Still, it's been good...very, very good.

I've got no complaints.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment