Tuesday, February 28, 2012

End of the Line

End of the Line
I read a very, very good article today. It's here if you want to take a look at it. It is written by a doctor, Ken Murray, and it talks about how many doctors choose not to treat their own life threatening diseases but rather opt to live out what time they have as quietly and as comfortably as they can.

"It's not something that we like to talk about, but doctors die, too. What's unusual about them is not how much treatment they get compared with most Americans, but how little," Dr. Murray says.

As part of the decisions that Sand and I have made regarding how we hope to spend the rest of our lives, I know that from here on out, I do not intend to seek any medical care that would prolong my life. I have no desire to die any time soon, but if death approaches sooner rather than later, so be it.

Oddly, I've kept my thoughts between myself and my wife, because I felt as though I would be considered crazy for what I was thinking. But maybe not. I know that the Church says that I am under no obligation to submit to "extraordinary means" to prolong life. That used to be a purely abstract discussion for me, but it's beginning to have a little more reality.

Something Dr. Murray talks about is the need for a properly prepared "advanced directive" that states clearly what your intentions are regarding end of life care.

This seems like something I need to look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment