Sunday, October 23, 2011

This Week in San Diego


We went to San Diego this past week. We took more than 90 pictures. Well, more precisely, I took four pictures, Sand took the rest. The picture on the left is the best of the four pictures I took.

It's a flower, but I think you could have guessed that. I don't what kind it is, but still I am rather pleased with the picture.

It was a good week. I was more relaxed than I have been since I retired. I love being retired, but under the circumstances and considering my age, there is always nagging feeling that I am not really allowed to do this, or at least that I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it.

I've been doing some reading that made sense to me. Laurence Scupoli wrote The Spiritual Combat, which is considered to be one of the great classics of Catholic spirituality. (You can see my review of that work here in the Piker Press.) He also wrote a shorter piece called Peace of Soul. I 'm not finished  reading it yet, but I like where it is going. Scupoli says there's loving God, and there's loving others. Both are important. However, don't over think the loving neighbor part. Put your effort into securing your relationship with God, and God will let you know what he wants you to do. Lots to consider.

 We met this other couple in San Diego who shared with us that they too are retired. They assured us that retirement is wonderful and that they have achieved peace. I took a picture of them (right), so that I can make it my screen saver. I want to be reminded what retirement can be.

3 comments: