Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Biscuits and Posterity

Biscuits. Mmm. Don't they look delicious? I would like to take credit for these beauties, but they came out of a can. They're Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits, the kind you take out of the tube and pop in the oven. However, it's what I do with them that makes a difference. Once they are out of the oven, I cover them with a tasty sausage gravy. The sausage gravy is Grandma Mae's gift to our family. Mae, who recently passed away, was my son-in-law John's grandmother, and apparently quite the cook. Biscuits and gravy was one of the dishes she taught John, and John taught me.

My granddaughter loves my biscuits and gravy. In fact, she and I will frequently make this dish together. Food can span generations. Lil, the granddaughter, is going to have lots of food to carry forward with her should she choose to do so. Her father is an excellent cook, her grandmother is a fabulous cook, and her mother can make bread, very good bread from scratch, an almost lost art.

And maybe she'll only want to open the canister and pop the biscuits in the oven at 350 for fourteen minutes. Perhaps in some future kitchen, Lil will tell her children, "You know, my grandfather taught me how to open this biscuit container."

The thought can bring a tear to the eye, can't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment