Friday, February 10, 2012

With Apologies to Gene Roddenberry

In an episode of the original Star Trek series, a character named Garth confronts an Orion slave girl who claims to have authored a poem she has  read to Captain Kirk. That poem, Garth says, was written by an Earth man named Shakespeare a long time ago. That does not alter the fact, the green woman replies, that I wrote it again this morning.

I was reminded of that particular exchange recently when I invented the Dutch apple crumb pie, and again today when I invented the Berry crumb pie.

These pies are very like the Orion girls as described in that episode by Commodore Mendez: they're vicious and seductive...they say no human male can resist them. In fact, I think I will call these pies the Orion apple crumb and the Roddenberryberry crumb pies.

Retirement -- bravely eating what no man has et before.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment