Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Salute the General

I am not a military man. I am, and have been since my earliest memories, committed to the idea that I will not intentionally kill another human being. I recognize that the world is a violent place, that there are people in the world intent on killing me if they get the chance. I recognize that the way the world is structured, war is unavoidable. I recognize, along with the Church, that there are circumstances that justify a people's right to defend themselves. And I recognize that I have a responsibility to support my country in such circumstances, to pledge to my country my life, my fortune, and my sacred honor.

I would like to believe that had I been called, I would have had the courage to serve my country, that I would have risked my life in service of others.

I would like to believe that I would die for my family and my country, but I will not kill for them.

I am ever mindful, however, of the fact that I have been able to live my life in peace in large part because there are those who understand their commitment to God and country differently, and I am greatly appreciative of the sacrifices they make for their country.

I was reminded of the quality of the individuals who serve in our armed forces today when I watched an interview with General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It was absolutely refreshing to listen to someone who answered the question asked of him instead of heading into a prepared diatribe against the rival political party. It was refreshing to hear someone who spoke of serious issues without the use of hyperbole. It was a relief to have someone conduct themselves with discipline and professionalism, portraying a calm and respectful confidence. When I listened to General Dempsey, I was convinced that what he said was what he believed to be the truth, and that what he said was information that I needed to consider.

It was a pleasant change from the adolescent whining, finger pointing, and deceit that consumes our usual public debates.

Good job, General.

No comments:

Post a Comment