Friday, October 28, 2011

The Real Thing

A friend of mine in Des Moines took me to task for my biscuits in her blog. She rightfully pointed out that tube biscuits are merely a kind of processed biscuit food, not really true edible things like homemade biscuits.

I admit that as a man, I do at times adhere to the "why pay for the cow when you can get a burger with fries at McDonald's?" philosophy of cooking, but I am here today to prove that men are not always as shallow as they appear.

To your left is a picture of a freshly canned jar of homemade pineapple jam. That's correct, I made pineapple jam yesterday, and by all appearances it is good. I've not tasted it yet, because I read that it should set undisturbed for 24 hours.

One of the reasons for making pineapple jam is that I simply can't find it in stores out here. I used to be able to, but about ten years ago, it just simply started to vanish from the shelves. I can still get pineapple-something jams, but I don't want the somethings. I suppose there is a good explanation for the disappearance of pineapple jams, like maybe too many people liked it and it became a bother to make a lot of it.

But now I have something authentic to put on my bogus biscuits.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know that I've EVER seen pineapple jam. Is it a CA thing?

    That is a lovely picture. It looks like bottled
    sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not California thing. Maybe PA thing since that's where I learned to love it. Probably goes great with scrapple, although I never tried that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have had it before....it's great over cream cheese as appetizer thing with crackers for kids and grownups alike!

    ReplyDelete